What is Nutritional Therapy
Our body needs the resources and nutrients so that it can function and keep us strong and well, and free of disease. When our environment changes (things like: stress, hormonal changes, diet, lifestyle, pollution or toxins) our bodies are designed to adapt and respond to these changes which are usually resolved once the threat has gone. For example, an illness that is accompanied with a fever, the fever is doing it’s job nicely by fighting the infection, and once the infection has been dealt with, the body will calm down, resolve and return back to normal. However, sometimes our bodies may not recover so well or even calm down and we continue to be affected in some way. That’s when chronic illness can set in. An unresolved illness may develop into other illnesses creating a knock on effect.
Nutritional therapy brings together your an assessment of your health history, diet and lifestyle to establish the root cause of illness or chronic condition and uses up-to-date science to help resolve these conditions.
Given the right diet and lifestyle we should be able to re-balance the body and bring you back to better health.
Principles of Naturopathic Therapy
- The Healing Power of Nature. The body can heal itself, for example, when you cut yourself, blood clots so that it can heal the wound. Good health comes from having a good flow of vitality that supports wellbeing, sustainability and replenishment. When this flow is disrupted the individual’s wellbeing and vital energy is reduced resulting in poor resistance and poor or slow recovery.
- Identify and Treat the Cause of the disruption of health, not the symptom.
- First do no harm by using safe, non-invasive therapies using natural resources.
- Treat the Whole Person. All body systems are interconnected, so assessing and working on the body as a whole often influences beneficial changes in other areas of health. Doctors often treat the symptoms, not the cuase.
- Prevention is more desirable than to cure.
- Educate to help the client understand and promote their own knowledge and power to take control of their own health.
Hering's Law of Cure
- Healing begins from the inside first, then moving to the outside (such as skin)
- Healing also begins from the most vital organs then to the lesser ones (such as from lungs to the skin)
- Healing begins from the middle of the body to the outer extremities
- Healing starts from the most recent issues to the original issues
- Healing begins from top to bottom.
I combine nutritional science with lifestyle support to guide you back to health. I will work at your pace but can also give you gentle challenges to help you reach your goals and I will be there to guide and support you all the way. My approach combines the latest evidence-based advice with person-centred care.